For some people, their dental appointment can be a time of high stress. This dental anxiety can be reason enough for many to cancel their appointments or to avoid making them in the first place. However, this isn’t a great strategy, because your dental health is important and treatments that are avoided can lead to a worsening of symptoms.
Sedation dentistry seeks to address this issue. Through the use of medication, we can help sedate you through your dental procedures, to ensure the best experience possible.
Who Should Get Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is for you, if you:
- Experience dental anxiety.
- Are resistant to local anesthetics.
- Are particularly sensitive in your mouth.
- Suffer from generalized anxiety.
Types of Sedation
- Nitrous Oxide – Nitrous oxide is a gas that is administered through the use of a mask. This gas is also known as laughing gas, and it can help you relax throughout your procedure. Nitrous oxide wears off fairly quickly and, in most cases, allows you to drive yourself home after your procedure.
- Oral Sedation – Oral sedation comes in the form of a pill. You typically take the pill an hour before your appointment, and it can make you a bit sleepy. While you remain aware during your procedure, it is generally not recommended that you drive yourself to or from your appointment.
- Intravenous Sedation – Intravenous sedation, or I.V., can actually put you to sleep. This is often referred to as “sleep dentistry”.
How Do I Get Sedation?
If you’re interested in sedation dentistry, the first thing you need to do is discuss it with Dr. Scalas or Dr. Ikoma. We will be happy to provide the appropriate sedation if you are a good candidate.
Does Insurance Cover Sedation?
What your insurance covers can vary from policy to policy. We will be happy to look at your personal policy and go over your coverage with you!
Take the Fear Out of Your Appointments!
At Bloomfield Dental Group, we know that not everyone looks forward to their dental appointments. If you are concerned about your own anxiety prior to your appointment, we would love to help you through it. Call us today!