Laughing gas is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe. This has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years. Laughing gas sedation is safe, the patient receives 50–70% oxygen with no less than 30% nitrous oxide (which is the active ingredient of laughing gas sedation).
Under this sedation, you are able to breathe on your own and remain in control of all bodily functions. Though this sedation is mild enough that you should remain conscious, you may experience mild amnesia and even fall asleep—not remembering all of what happened during your appointment.
We do not charge extra to use laughing gas during dental treatment.
There Are Many Advantages to Using Laughing Gas Sedation:
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover.” Laughing gas wears off within a few minutes after you stop inhaling it.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart, lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2–3 minutes, it reduces anxiety associated with getting treatment.
- There is no fee at our office to use laughing gas.